Custom and DRI officers equipped with modern technology
Jaipur. Now it will be difficult for gold smugglers to escape from the airport. During the lockdown, all the airports in the country have become equipped with modern technology. Custom, DRI (Directorate of Revenue Intelligence) and CISF have also worked during this period to understand the body language of gold smugglers with technology. However, in many cases, due to negligence or neglect of Customs and DRI officials, the gold gets thrown out of the airport. According to customs officials, 90 percent of gold smuggling is done through travelers coming from Dubai, Sharjah, Muscat. Heavy import duty on gold is a major reason for smuggling of gold from abroad. The officers catch the suspects by their uncomfortable body language. They get caught due to nervousness, gait gradient and difficulty in getting up and sitting. Passengers carrying gold concealed in the rectum (anus) find it difficult to sit. He cannot sit in one posture for long. Frequent travelers are also monitored. Many suspects are caught in the screening on the basis of movement. Along with gold, smuggling of foreign currency, narcotics drugs, electronics, fabrics, silk and diamonds is also increasing.
Due to Corona, the arrival of flights from abroad was less, now there is a possibility of increasing smuggling once again due to the full operation of flights.
workers become career
Most of the accused caught at the airport become carriers in the greed of money. These people work in places like Dubai, Muscat, Sharjahan etc. The incidents of smuggling have also increased due to the lack of real smugglers. According to experts, in future pet animals like dogs, cats can also be used in smuggling.
This is how gold smuggling happens
Gold smugglers in rectum, under garments in paste form, sanitary napkins, skating shoes, motor armature, misc grinder, lock, battery torch, wireless speaker, radio, vacuum cleaner, copy and spice grinder, exhaust fan, etc. Hiding in a separate form.
Some major cases of gold smuggling
1. On 14 October 2021, one and a half kg of gold was caught at Jaipur International Airport, which was brought from Sharjahan in the form of paste in the undergarment. In July 2020, 32 kg of gold was caught in one day at Jaipur International Airport. This gold was confiscated from 14 passengers. All had brought the gold hidden in the battery of the emergency light.
2. Chennai Airport 4 people arrested in November 2020. They were brought by pasting a layer of gold between the face masks. 1.84 kg gold worth Rs 98 lakh was seized from them.
3. In February 2021, 3 kg of gold was seized from 4 smugglers at Lucknow’s Chaudhary Charan Singh Airport. They had brought gold from Dubai by making a paste and hiding it in an underwear belt.
4. A passenger who arrived at Amritsar airport from Dubai on 29 August this year brought 600 grams of gold in liquid form in two bottles of handwash. The passenger was caught due to the heavy weight of the bottle.
Customs and DRI actions across the country (Amount in crores)
Metals 2017—18 2018—19 2019-20
Gold 974 1264.36 1361.20
Foreign Currency 89.67 163.83 513.30
Narcotics Drug 266.9 484.30 4551.39
Electronics 25.48 crore 58.86 19.50
Fabrics, Silk 524.58 crore 121.84 165.53
Diamond 11.39 28.94 223.58
important role of informer
Informer is important to us. The customs department has also put in place a cash reward scheme for the informer. If anyone has any information he can give it to us. Name and identity are kept secret.
– Rahul Nangre, Commissioner Customs, Jaipur