The man arrested for killing five people in Norway with arrows and bows recently converted to Islam. He had been labeled as an extremist in the past. The police gave this information on Thursday (October 14, 2021). Police said that the suspect carried out an arrow-bomb attack on Wednesday (October 13, 2021) evening in various areas of Kongsberg, in which five people were killed. Two people including a police officer were also seriously injured in the attack. Many of these victims were in supermarkets.
Police chief Ole B. Sawerud told a news conference, “Concerns had been IGed about this man’s radicalization in the past.” .
Soverud said the 37-year-old suspect admitted to the deadliest attack in Norway during an overnight interrogation. “We are probing, among other things, whether it was a terrorist attack,” he added. He said the suspect is being arrested on the initial charge. For the time being, it is believed that the suspected attacker has carried out this deadly attack.
Norway’s public broadcaster NRK reported that the suspect had been convicted multiple times for robbery and drug offenses and was sentenced last year to 6 months. It banned contact with two close family members, as he threatened to kill one of them.
Officials said two victims of the attack were admitted to the intensive care unit, one of whom is a police officer posted at the store. His condition was not immediately available. Newly appointed Prime Minister Jonas Gahar Storey called the attack “horrific”. “It is unrealistic, but it is a fact that five people have been killed and many have been injured, while many are in shock,” he said.
Significantly, after 10 years there has been a major incident of violence in Norway. Earlier in the year 2011, Anders Behric Breivik killed 77 people. Most of the dead were youths, who had come to join a camp. Let us tell you that about 67 kilometers from the Norwegian capital Oslo, Kongsberg is a small town, which has a population of only 28 thousand.