Burnaby RCMP have opened an investigation into the sexual assault of a well-known Christian Brother RS News

RS News

- Advertisement -

Edward English – a Christian teacher who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for beating and sexually abusing boys at the Mount Cashel orphanage in St.

Burnaby RCMP confirmed that a complaint was filed on Aug. 25, and related to allegations of abuse at a private Catholic school between 1978 and 1982.

While the organization could not identify the subject of the investigation, a source with knowledge of the complaint confirmed English, now 74, is the pastor involved.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” said Ngesi when contacted by a CBC reporter on Wednesday. “I’m not going to comment on something if I don’t know anything about it.”

The reporter asked to go with him on the charges, but he refused, saying “no comment,” before hanging up.

A source identified the plaintiff as the man who is part of a proposed class action lawsuit in British Columbia. The lawsuit alleges a pair of private Catholic schools and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver allowed six known abusers to transfer from St.

In an affidavit in the proposed class action lawsuit, the man – known as John A. Doe – said English repeatedly abused him during his time as a student at St. Thomas More Collegiate, Grades 8-12 in Burnaby, just outside of Vancouver.

The man wrote: “The abuse I experienced as a boy had a huge impact on my faith, my health and my personal relationships. “I told my family about this but I didn’t tell others close to me, my employer or the people I work with. I have not and will never reach the point where I am willing to share my identity with the general public.”

The allegations in his affidavit have yet to be tested in court.

English went as part of hiding the bad name

Edward English became a household name in Newfoundland and Labrador in 1989, when news broke about what had been going on at Mount Cashel Orphanage for decades.

A court investigation revealed that two young men accused English of abusing them in 1975, and English even confessed to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.

The biggest bombshell of the investigation, however, was that an agreement had been made between the Christian Brotherhood, the police and the Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Justice. English and five other brothers who were accused of abusing children were quietly moved to this province around 1975, and no charges were brought.

In 2021, the Archdiocese of St. (CBC)

The Christian Brothers also owned a K-12 school, Vancouver College and St. Thomas More Collegiate. All six brothers came to those two schools.

At the time of the revelations, English and others had been teaching in British Columbia for over ten years.

John A. Doe now wants to know how that was allowed to happen.

“I want to answer for the damage done to me by Brother Engis,” he wrote. “In particular, I want to know how he was allowed to teach at St. Thomas More after admitting to sexually abusing boys at Mount Cashel.”

English was researched in BC earlier

Criminal charges were laid in Newfoundland and Labrador following the Hughes Inquiry. All six brothers moved to BC and were eventually convicted on various charges of abuse.

But none have been charged with crimes stemming from their time at BC, despite allegations that have now surfaced that their abusive behavior continued after the termination.

A spokesperson for the RCMP in Burnaby confirmed that this is not their first investigation into English. Cpl. Alexa Hodgins said the military conducted an investigation in 2000, related to allegations of a priest abusing children in St. Thomas More between 1978 and 1982. Hodgins said the file was “closed in early 2001, without charges at the victim’s request.”

The plaintiff was not John A. Doe, but Hodgins said the subject of both investigations is the same person, which means it must be Edward English.

Because of him, Doe’s affidavit states that he went to the Burnaby RCMP a few years after leaving St. According to Hodgins, there is no record of a complaint before 2000.

English stayed in NB after being imprisoned

Of all the cases from Mount Cashel, the English received the most severe punishment.

He was found guilty of 15 counts of physical and sexual abuse and was initially sentenced to 13 years in prison. That was later reduced on appeal to 10 years. He was released after serving 5½ years in prison and granted full parole.

He was released from a halfway house in New Brunswick, and public records show he has lived in the Moncton area ever since, most recently in a small home on a country road south of Moncton.

According to documents obtained by CBC News, English filed for bankruptcy in 2020. The proceedings concluded in January 2021, one month before he was to be named in a proposed class-action lawsuit in Vancouver.

Bankruptcy records show that he had a company called T. English Enterprises. There is little information on the company in a search of Canadian records, but according to US records, a company called Ted English Enterprises with a Moncton address was responsible for importing religious ornaments from China.

English has been attending the program’s planned classroom sessions via video conference from his home in New Brunswick.

Confirmation hearings were halted in August as all parties struggled to get new evidence admitted. The hearings are expected to conclude in November, and a judge will decide whether the case moves forward as a class action or as a series of lawsuits.

Read more on CBC Newfoundland and Labrador


Most Popular