Another suspect in the Fort Good Hope stabbing incident is now in custody RS News

RS News

- Advertisement -

The only suspect in the stabbing of three people in Fort Good Hope, NWT, turned himself in at 6:00 p.m. Thursday evening, police said while speaking to the media in Yellowknife.

One person was killed in the attack on Tuesday night and two others were seriously injured. Both are in hospital in stable condition.

NWT RCMP Supt. Jeffrey Christie said 24-year-old Thaddeus McNeely is currently in custody, and charges have not yet been determined.

Christie said police were called earlier Thursday that McNeely was willing to turn himself in. Christie said the call came from McNeely or someone on McNeely’s behalf. Police went to the residence where the call came in and McNeely was arrested without incident, according to RCMP.

A young man in a checked shirt, mother-of-pearl buttons, facing the camera.
Police shared this photo of Thaddeus McNeely. (RCMP)

RCMP say they “responded within minutes” Tuesday night after hearing a report around 8:36 p.m

Three people were found near the site of what is believed to be the main crime scene. One person died after being brought to the health facility, and another was in critical condition. The third was injured but stabilized. Christie did not have an update on the condition of the injured victims Thursday evening, other than to say they were in stable condition.

On the evening of this incident, the police asked the residents of Fort Good Hope to stay safe. The order has been lifted, but police say RCMP in the community remain vigilant.

Officers from various RCMP branches were dispatched to the community to assist in the investigation including from BC and Alberta. On Wednesday, police said about 20 officers were down in a community of about 500.

RCMP said Thursday night that residents can expect to see a “continuing influx” of officers in the community as they secure the crime scene, gather evidence and continue their investigation.

The NWT RCMP says its leadership will continue to work with community leaders to “keep them informed of updates as this investigation continues.”


Most Popular